We are looking for a passionate person interested in shaping the future of public interest digital infrastructures, enabling communities to unleash the power of data and information to transform their lives.
- Location: Remote
- Reports to: Tech Lead.
- Working language: English. Other languages are desirable.
We are looking for a Software Developer with a minimum of 2 years experience, ideally 3, to work with us across different projects at OKF. This is a contractor position working up to 40h/week for 12 months initially (there is a possibility of employment if based in the UK).
We are a small team working on a mix of commercial and grant-based community projects, as well as the maintenance of some of the internal Open Knowledge infrastructure. The person fulfilling this particular role will work across different projects, most likely including our flagship projects Frictionless Data and CKAN. Most of our code is Open Source so you should be comfortable working in the open and interacting with the wider community. We like to learn from each other and to complement our skills.
Some examples of the types of activities you may be involved with:
- Developing new features and addressing existing problems for one of the Frictionless Data software packages.
- Writing custom CKAN extensions to support client needs
- Refactoring User Interfaces to make them reactive and responsive
- Helping design and scope new features alongside product owners and tech leads
In addition to it, you will engage with our communities and networks globally. See our GitHub repositories for an idea of the types of projects you would contribute to: https://github.com/okfn/ and https://github.com/frictionlessdata/.
We are a remote team spread across different time zones, you need to be comfortable managing your own time and working with distributed teams.
Your tasks will involve:
- Working on the technical design of features
- Implementing technical products
- Mentoring and training other developers
- Interaction and collaboration with the wider technical community
- Python development, experience in building web applications and APIs
- Git and GitHub workflows (Pull Requests, Code Reviews, etc)
- Front-end development with React, Vue or similar technologies
- Data processing and visualization
- Docker and other DevOps tooling, including cloud deployments and Continuous Integration
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
This is a full time position. An offer will be made based on Experience. Expected annual earnings between £35,000 and £40,000 based on a flexible 40h work week.
Open Knowledge Foundation is a global non-profit organisation working towards the openness of all forms of knowledge to secure a fair, free and open future for all. A world where all non-personal information is open, free, for everyone to use, build on and share, in which creators and innovators are recognised and rewarded. The wide range of projects we work on all aim to give people access to data, the knowledge to understand it, and the power to use it in our everyday lives.
Open Knowledge Foundation is a distributed team, based all over the world, so experience or strong understanding of what is required to work in a global, multicultural, highly transparent, remote team is a distinct advantage.
The applicant must have their own computer and access to a reliable internet connection.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply, please send your CV and a cover note highlighting why you are interested in the role and stating your availability to start to: email@example.com. Note that the position will be open until filled.
At Open Knowledge Foundation we are committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace and aim to cultivate and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We value and encourage diversity because a range of experiences and perspectives enriches our work and strengthens our ability to address complex challenges. Applicants from communities that are under-represented in our workplace - ethnic minorities, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTI+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Click here for our Job applicant privacy notice.